21 November, 2019
Chicken Popcorn Recipe – KFC Style Popcorn Chicken
Chicken popcorn is a very popular and crispy snacks. Almost all the people who like chicken, love this popcorn chicken so much. While people visit any KFC restaurant, most of them order this crunchy chicken snack.
KFC style popcorn chicken is too much popular all over the world. Child to adult everyone loves this crispy chicken snack.
Learn how to make this recipe at home and enjoy the “restaurant-style chicken popcorn at home”. There are different types of chicken popcorn in different regions of the world. Here is the best and easiest method to cook this in your kitchen.
I am sure whether you cook this dish at your home, you will be forgotten your favorite KFC restaurant. I make this recipe in three steps i.e marination, coating, and deep fry.
It is very important to marinate chicken with buttermilk or vinegar and some other ingredients. Because marination makes the chicken soft and tender and also help to cook inside of chicken pieces easily.
It has not any fixed time to marinate but you can marinate the chicken minimum 30 minutes to 8 hours. I prefer 4-8 hours of marination. Because the flavor of all the spices enters into the chicken pieces during the long time marination.
How many types of coating ingredients use to make popcorn chicken?
I mainly use two types of coating ingredients i.e all-purpose flour and cornflour. You may add breadcrumbs also. A better coating makes it more crispy and tasty.
To say the truth, it is not the best idea to make crunchy popcorn chicken. It wouldn’t be perfectly crispy in the oven. If you want to make it good crispy, it should be deep-fried.
How long to deep fry popcorn chicken?
The time of cooking or deep frying mainly depends on the size of the chicken pieces and the temperature of the oil. Whether the chicken pieces are small cube size and cook them over a medium flame then it may take approximately 10-12 minutes. Follow the deep frying instructions below to make perfect crunchy popcorn chicken.
Some more crispy chicken recipes
- Broasted Chicken recipe
- KFC style fried chicken recipe
- Crispy Chicken Pakora
- Pressure Cooker Fried Chicken
- Deep-frying pan
- mixing bowl
For the marination
- 300 grams boneless chicken
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic powder or paste
- ½ tbsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp paprika (Kashmiri red chili powder)
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp dark soya sauce
- 1 tbsp dried oregano (optional)
- 1 piece egg
For the coating
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Corn flour / corn starch
- ½ tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- ⅓ tbsp black pepper
For deep fry
- ½ liter vegetable oil
- Cut boneless chicken into small cubes or bite-sized.
- In a mixing bowl, take chicken pieces. Add all the marination spices (ginger garlic paste, black pepper, paprika, salt, vinegar, dark soya sauce, beaten egg, paprika, oregano, and powdered sugar).
- Mix well, all the ingredients with chicken pieces. Keep it in a refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes to 8 hours.
- Combine all the coating ingredients (all-purpose flour, cornflour, breadcrumbs, red chili powder, and salt) in a mixing bowl.
- Now take the marinated chicken pieces and coated all sides with this coating ingredients.
- Shake the coated chicken lightly to remove the extra dry crust. Keep aside them for 10 minutes to set the crust.
- Heat 250 ml cooking oil in a deep-fried pan over a high flame. Check the temperature of the oil by food thermometer (350F) or add a small portion of the mixture in the oil. The dough will rise up without browning if the temperature is perfect. Now keep the flame to medium, add chicken pieces in batches.
- Stir them often or overturn to cook well all sides. Fry them until golden brown or cook through.
- Keep them on a kitchen paper after removing from the deep frying pan to absorb extra oil.
- Add the next batch to the hot oil and follow the same method to fry them.
- Finally, the hot crispy chicken popcorn is ready to serve. Serve them hot or wait until cool down to room temperature.
- Whether you want to serve them for the next day then cool down to room temperature. Keep them in a sealed container.
To get the best and crispiest chicken popcorn a good preparation is required. Follow all the preparation methods properly for best KFC style popcorn chicken.
Cut chicken into small size or bite-size. Make sure all the pieces are made the same size so that they take equivalent time to cook.
Take ginger garlic paste, black pepper, paprika, salt, vinegar, dark soya sauce, beaten egg, paprika, oregano, and powdered sugar in a mixing pot. Add chicken pieces. Combined them well so that a coating makes on the chicken pieces.
Serve hot popcorn chicken or allow them to cool down at room temperature. Dip them in mayonnaise Sauce or as per your choice and enjoy every bite.
Summary of the recipe
- Cut chicken into cubed size then marinate with marination spices.
- Coat marinated chicken with coating ingredients.
- Deep fried chicken untill they make crispy.
- Serve, and enjoy.
- For better result marinate the chicken pieces for 6-8 hours.
- Adjust salt and chili powder as per your taste.
- Don’t keep the flame high at the time of cooking. It will make dark the outside without cooking the internal side.
- Sprinkle some chat masala on hot chicken popcorn to get a better taste.
- You may use buttermilk instead of vinegar for marination.