Chicken Kosha is a traditional Bengali recipe. Actually, it is a spicy chicken curry that is very popular in India and Bangladesh. A lot of variety of chicken curry available in the Indian sub-continental like North Indian style chicken curry, Punjabi chicken curry, chicken bhuna, etc.
Chicken kosha is one of the best recipes among them. It can be served with so many side dishes like puri, paratha, plain roti, rice, bread, etc. It is also called Kosha murgir mangsho. It can be cooked in different ways. Here, I am showing the best and easiest way to cook this dish.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN KOSHA?
There are different methods to cook chicken kasha. Some people make it with potatoes, and some are without potatoes. This is actually a dried type spicy Bengali chicken curry, and every Bengali people familiar with this food.
To cook this dish, we need quick marination of the chicken pieces. First, the chicken is seasoned with curd and spices, then keep in the refrigerator or room temperature for 30 minutes to marinate. This quick marination increases the taste of this dish.
After marination, it is cooked on a heavy bottom cast iron wok or kadhai with a high flame. A little water is added to make a thick gravy.
Try more chicken recipes (non-veg recipes)
The main advantage of this dish that it can serve with so many side dishes. You can serve this with jeera rice, basmati rice, Plain rice, roti, Plain Paratha, Tandoori roti, etc. So try it with your favorite side dishes.
Please follow all the cooking directions below to make authentic Chicken Kosha (Kosha Murgir Mangsho) at home.
Chicken Kosha Recipe
- Cast iron wok (Kadhai)
- Bix size mixing pot or bowl
- 800 grams Fresh chicken
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 3 medium size onion (Chopped)
- 2 pieces bay leaves
- 2 tbsp Garam masala powder (all ground spices)
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- ½ cup curd (yogurt)
- 6 pieces green chili (slice or paste)
- 1 tbsp coriander powder (optional)
- Whole garam masala (3 green cardamoms, 3 cloves, 1 small cinnamon stick)
- ½ cup Coriander leaves (chopped)
- ½ cup cooking oil (or adjust yourself)
- 3 pieces dry red chili
- salt to taste
- Take fresh chicken, cut into pieces. Wash well with water then drain.
- Place the chicken in a big size mixing bowl or pot. Add curd, ginger-garlic paste, chopped onion, red chili powder, salt, chopped onion, cumin powder, garam masala powder (1tbsp), green chili, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and 2 tbsp cooking oil with the chicken pieces. Combine them well for seasoning the chicken pieces. Keep the seasoned chicken pieces in a refrigerator or room temperature for half an hour to marinate.
- Take a potato and cut it into big size. Heat cooking oil in a cast iron wok (kadhai). Shallow fry the potato pieces until they turned golden brown. Remove the potato pieces from the oil and keep them aside.
- Add cooking oil in the Kadhai, wait until it heats enough. Next add 1 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera), 2-3 red chili, whole garam masala, and 2 bay leaves. Wait for 40-50 seconds then add the marinated chicken. Stir fry the chicken for 4-5 minutes then add chopped tomato and fried potatoes. Stir fry another 5-6 minutes or until it releases the aroma.
- Take a cup of water and add it to the chicken. Cover the chicken with the lid and cook it another 13-15 minutes.
- Uncover the chicken, check if it cooks well or not. Add a tbsp of garam masala powder, mix it well. Now add chopped coriander leaves, mix a little then remove from the kadhai. Now your favourite chicken kosha (kosha murgir mangsa) is ready to serve. Serve it with your favourite item.
Leave a Reply