Chicken bhuna recipe or chicken tikka bhuna: Chicken bhuna is an amazing spicy Indian Chicken Curry. This chicken recipe makes with different types of spices like garam masala, black pepper, and some other spices with finely chopped tomatoes. The chicken pieces are fried and cooked with these spices without any water.
I usually make this chicken recipe with bhuna masala (sautéed spices). Because the flavor of bhuna masala is simply amazing and 100 times better than usual used spices.
I recommend everyone; before using the spices, sauté them a little then use them directly or powdered form. The cooking process of this dish is almost similar to the Chicken Kosha Recipe.
How to Make Chicken Bhuna
To make a better and healthy ‘bhuna chicken recipe’ I always use ground all spices (garam masala) with finely chopped onions, tomatoes, and some other ingredients. I suggest you, use some Nigella seeds (kalonji), two minutes before the end of cooking. Because Nigella seeds (kalonji) make this dish different from other recipes and make it yummier.
This recipe is also called chicken tikka bhuna. I cook chicken bhuna in two steps, first marinate then cook. Marination is the important part for cook this dish.
More chicken recipes
- Chicken Cutlet Recipe
- Easy Chicken Liver Recipe
- Crispy Pressure Cooker Fried Chicken
- Broasted Chicken recipe
- Calories and nutrition per 100 grams skinless bhuna chicken are given below.
- Calories- 170 Kcal
- Protein-28 grams
- Fat- 7 grams
- Cholesterol -70mg
- Vitamins- Vitamin A and Vitamin B complex
Watch step by step making process of Bhuna Chicken with image
Add chicken pieces in a bowl and add the spices I have already told for marination.
Mix them well and keep in a refrigerator for marination for up to 30-40 minutes.
Saute little all the whole spices in a kadhai or saucepan. It is called bhuna masala. While it starts to release a good flavor, remove it from the saucepan and keep in a bowl.
Heat 3-4 tbsp cooking oil over medium to high flame in a pressure cooker. Take a chopped onion and add it to the oil and saute until red.
Add chopped tomatoes, ground spices, salt, bhuna masala with it and saute continually for 8-10 minutes.
While the spices are cooked well then add chicken pieces. Cook them over high flame for up to 5 minutes then add 1/4th cup of water. Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook it up to the pressure cooker hits a whistle.
Open the pressure cooker and saute it over medium to low flame up to the gravy to get dried. Now add garam masala and Kasuri powder, coriander leaves, and nigella seeds. Mix them then turn off the flame.
Now, the Chicken bhuna recipe is ready to serve. Serve it hot with plain roti or Basmati rice.
Chicken Bhuna Recipe
the chicken with different types of bhuna masala. While we cooked it with tomatoes and onions it makes some juice which is formed by heat. The chicken pieces are well cooked with this juice and make a dry gravy.
- pressure cooker
Ingredients for Marination
- 600 grams Chicken (cut into medium size)
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tbsp ginger paste
- salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp sauteed (bhuna) cumin powder
- 1/2 piece lemon (or 1 tbsp lemon juice)
Ingredients for cooking
- 3 dried red chilies
- 3 sliced green chilies
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 4 pieces small cardamom
- 8-10 pieces black pepper
- 5-6 pieces cloves
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp fried Kasuri powder
- 1 tbsp Sauteed ground all-spices (bhuna garam masala)
- 1 tbsp red chili powder You may adjust chili powder as per your taste
- 1/4 tbsp Nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 3 pieces medium size onion finely chopped
- 5 pieces tomatoes finely chopped or grind
- mustered oil or any vegetable oil I suggest, mustered oil for better taste.
- Take chicken pieces in a big size bowl, add red chilli powder, ginger-garlic paste, salt, fried cumin powder, and lemon juice. Mix all the ingredients with chicken pieces and keep in a refrigerator to marinate it for a minimum of 30 minutes.
How to make bhuna masala (sauteed spices)
- Take a saucepan and heat it over low to medium flame, add dried whole spices (3 dried red chilies, 1tsp cumin seeds, 4 pieces cardamom, black pepper 8-10 pieces, and cloves 5-6 pieces) and sauté them. Heat and stir them until they release a good flavor.
- Remove them from the saucepan and keep in a bowl.
How to cook chicken bhuna
- Take a pressure cooker and heat it over a high flame. Add mustered approximately 100 ml oil and keep the flame high. When the oil heat sufficiently, turn off the flame and rest it for 30-40 seconds to cool down slightly.
- Again turn on the flame, add chopped onions and sauté for 8-10 minutes. Stir them continuously over a high flame.
- When the onion turned red, add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, and coriander powder. Fried them over medium flame until they get red and dry type (4-6 minutes).
- Add the finely chopped or grind tomato, sliced green chili, salt, and all the sauteed whole spices.
- Stir and fried them until they well cooked or released a good flavor. Make them like a bhuna curry or gravy.
- Regulate the flame to high and add the chicken pieces. Stir and mix them continuously for 4-5 minutes.
- Now add ½ cup of water, covered the pressure cooker and cook it over moderate flame. Turn off the flame when the pressure cooker hits a whistle.
- Wait for release the pressure automatically. Remember, don’t release the pressure by force.
- Open the lid of the pressure cooker and turn on the flame. Cook until the broth dry.
- Add garam masala powder (all-spices), Kasuri powder, Nigella seeds (kalonji) and mix them well. Turn off the flame and wait a while to cool down a bit.
- Serve bhuna chicken recipe with plain Basmati rice or homemade plain roti. You may serve it
with jeera rice but plain rice is the best idea.
- Always use bhuna masala to get the original and yummier taste.
- Stir continuously while you fry the onions and spices so that they do not stick to the bottom of the saucepan and not to burn.
- Kalonji is optional if it is not available then skip this masala.
- If you like mustered oil then must try to cook it with mustered oil.
Explore more recipes
- Healthy Restaurant Style Chicken Pakoda
- Best Indian Chicken Curry Recipe
- How to make Paneer Chilli at Home
- Indian Chilli Chicken Recipe
- KFC Fried Chicken Recipe (Copycat)