Instant pot Basmati rice recipe – I like to use Basmati rice for cooking Indian dishes like Biriyani, Polao, Cumin rice (jeera rice), fried rice, etc. Usually, I use an instant pot most of the time for cooking Basmati rice. But sometimes I use a simple pressure cooker or electric rice cooker also.
What is Basmati rice?
Basmati is a variety of rice. It is a long, slender grained aromatic rice that is abundantly found in the Indian sub-continent. India is the largest producer and exporter of Basmati rice. More than 65% of this rice grown in India. It is also grown in Pakistan, Thailand, and Bangladesh.
How to Choose the Best Basmati rice for cooking?
It is very important to buy the best Basmati rice for cooking. So you should choose it carefully. Some other rice also looks like Basmati rice. But their taste is different.
Always remember, good quality basmati rice depends on its grain size and color. The longer grain size always better than the shorter grain size. The color of this rice is not pearl white. It is slightly brownish in color. Also remember, the aged Basmati rice is always better than the new rice.
How To Cook Basmati Rice in Instant pot?
Before starting the cooking, you should know the following steps to make perfect Basmati rice in an instant pot.
Rinsing the rice:
Before cooking the rice, rinse through running water. Because it helps to remove dust particles and starch from the rice.
Soaking also an important step for cooking the best brown basmati rice in instant pot. Before transfer the rice into the instant pot, soak it in water for 5-10 minutes. This step reduces the cooking time and helps to make the rice non-sticky and fluffy.
Water and rice ratio:
The ratio of water and rice is very important for perfect boiling the rice. For cooking perfect fluffy and nonsticky Basmati rice, water and rice ration should be 1:1.
If you add more water, the rice will be soft, wet, and sticky. On the other hand, less amount of water can make the rice hard and partially boil.
Time to cook:
After a long experiment, I have found that 5-7 minutes of pressure cooking is best for Basmati rice. If you soaking the rice, cook it for 5-6 minutes under high pressure. But if you skip the soaking step, boil the basmati rice for 7-8 minutes in an instant pot.
For perfect boiled and nonsticky Basmati rice, you should release the pressure naturally from the instant pot. Otherwise, rice will be soft or partially boiled. Take approximately 10 minutes to release the pressure.
How To Cook Perfect Basmati Rice In a Pressure Cooker?
You can cook perfect basmati rice in a usual pressure cooker also. To cook Basmati rice in a pressure cooker, first wash 1 cup rice then drain. Add washed rice into the pressure cooker. Add 1½ cup water to it. In this case, the rice to water ratio will be 1: 1½. So adjust the water level as per the amount of rice.
Now close the pressure cooker lid and heat with high flame. Wait for a whistle then turn off the flame. Wait to release the pressure normally. It can take 15-20 minutes to release the pressure naturally. Open the lid and taste the texture of the pressure cooking Basmati rice.
More instant pot recipes
Instant Pot Basmati Rice Recipe (Pressure Cooker Basmati Rice)
To cook in an instant pot
- 1 cup Basmati rice (250 gram)
- 1 cup water (use same cup)
To cook in a pressure cooker
- 1 cup Rice (250 gram)
- 1½ cup water
How to cook brown Basmati rice in instant pot
- Take basmati rice in a riddle. Rinse the rice under tap water until the water runs clear. Now transfer the washed rice to a bowl. Add a cup of water. Soak the rice in water for 10-15 minutes. Soaking and rinsing of rice help to get rid of starch. Drain out water.
- Place the rice in the instant pot. Add 1 cup water. Close the lid and move the valve in the sealing position. Set the cooking time to 7 minutes. Cook the rice under high pressure then release the pressure naturally for 10 minutes.
How to cook Basmati rice in Pressure cooker
- Wash 1 cup Indian basmati rice then drain. Take a pressure cooker and place the rice in it. Add 1½ cup water. Don’t forget to use the same cup to measure the rice and water. Close the lid and heat with high flame.
- Turn off the flame when you hear the first whistle. Wait for15-20 minutes to escape the steam naturally from the pressure cooker. Open the pressure cooker lid and fluff the rice with a fork or rice paddle. Serve the rice with your favorite side dish.
- For best nonsticky Basmati rice, you can add 1 tbsp vegetable oil with water during cooking. You may add 1 tbsp salt also.
- Rice to water ratio is very important to make the best fluffy rice. So adjust rice and water carefully.
- I recommend using the same cup for measuring rice and water.