The dragon roll is a popular type of sushi. You can find this dish almost everywhere in Japan. This sushi is not just tasteful but is beautiful to look at as well. It is a piece of art. The chefs who create dragon sushi use ingredients to top sushi, and the final product looks like a dragon.
The main ingredients used for making dragon sushi include sushi rice, nori sheet, cooked seafood (shrimp, lobster, eel, etc.), and a selection of vegetables. Dragon roll might seem intimidating, but it is not that difficult to make. It is all about patience and following the technique.
Follow this recipe, and I am sure you will easily make tasteful dragon roll sushi at home.
What is dragon roll?
Most people think a dragon roll has something to do with the dragon. Well, it sure is made to look like a dragon, but that’s really it. In simple words, it is an inside-out sushi roll. It’s called inside-out because the rice is outside the roll rather than on the inside.
A traditional dragon roll is made using several ingredients like cooked shrimp, unagi, lobster meat, etc. However, it comes in several variations, so you can add more or remove a few ingredients as per your liking.
What Ingredients Are Used In This Recipe?
Here are the main ingredients used in a dragon roll recipe:
Rice: Sushi rice sets the base for every sushi. It is small-grained, sticky rice specifically for making sushi. I have added rice wine vinegar to the sushi rice to add more flavor.
Nori: Nori sheet is also an essential ingredient when making dragon roll. You can purchase the Nori sheet easily from any grocery store.
Meat: You can choose from a variety of seafood like lobster meat, shrimp, unagi, i.e., eel meat, etc. whatever meat you choose will work. I use shrimp tempura for this recipe.
Vegetables: I have used cucumbers and avocadoes for this recipe.
How to make a dragon roll?
Making dragon roll is all about practice, precision, and creativity. You have to roll the sushi just like any other. The main trick here is flipping the nori sheet so that the rice layer goes outside the sushi. Moreover, you must place the meat and vegetables in the nori sheet and then roll it.
The next main thing is the decor. Choose the ingredients and set them on top of the sushi so that it looks like a dragon. Once you have achieved that, the dragon roll is ready to be served.
Dragon Roll Sushi
- sushi mat
- Plastic wrap
- ¾ cup Sushi Rice cooked
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise mixed with 1 tsp sriracha
- ½ cucumber cut lengthwise
- 2 Shrimp tempura, cooked
- ½ nori sheet
- ½ Avocado, sliced
- ½ Avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp fish roe
- Firstly, cook the sushi rice, and mix them with rice vinegar. Prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Place a plastic wrap over the bamboo sheet. Now cut the nori sheet in half and place it on the bamboo sheet.
- Scoop two to three tablespoons of sushi rice and spread them over the nori sheet leaving 1/8 inch space on all sides.
- Flip the nori sheet so that the rice is now at the bottom of the bamboo sheet. Scoop a tablespoon of sushi rice and spread it evenly on the nori sheet as well.
- Drizzle mayonnaise mixed with sriracha on top.
- Now place cucumber sticks in the middle of the nori sheet.
- Place cooked tempura shrimp on the side of the cucumber.
- Place avocado slices on top of the cucumber and shrimp.
- Start rolling the sushi by starting to flip the bamboo mat over the ingredients tightly. Make sure you ease out the bamboo mat and the plastic wrap as you continue to fold it tightly until you get a perfectly rolled log of sushi.
- Now spread the thinly sliced avocado slices on top of the sushi roll so that it resembles the scales of the dragon. Press the slices to shape them into the log using the bamboo mat. Sprinkle fish roe and drizzle soy sauce on top.