A hot dog (also spelled as hotdog) is a food consisting of a grilled or steamed sausage served in the slot of a partially cut bun. It can also refer to the sausage itself.
Hot dog preparation and seasonings vary around the world. Typical sauces include mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise, cheese sauce, and standard garnishes include onions, sauerkraut, jalapenos, chili, shredded cheese, coleslaw, bacon, and olives.
Hot dogs are part of the most popular foods in America, but consumer surveys indicate that many hot dog lovers are unsure how they are made and why certain labeled ingredients are used.
Furthermore, it is very similar to cakes – different recipes create very different flavors and textures, and people have strong personal preferences. You may also like homemade steak burger recipe.
Many recipes call for many other ingredients, including spices, flavors, preservatives, binders, and additives that combine to give hot dogs their distinctive flavor and texture.
Ingredients added to meat and chicken in a hot dog recipe can add flavor, keep it moist and juicy, delay spoilage, and perhaps most importantly, provide food safety. You can also read about the best topping ideas for hot dogs.
Chicago Style Hot Dog Recipe
- 5 pounds fully pastured / grass-fed beef (ground by your butcher or diced to grind at home)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp mustard powder
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- A pinch of celery seeds
- ½ tbsp coriander
- ½ tbsp salt
- 1 cup of ice water
- Sheep casing (24-26 mm)
- Putthe ground beef, ground pork, salt, paprika, black pepper, granulated onion,granulated garlic, smoked paprika, and ice water in a bowl. Mix with your fingers until it is wellblended and the mixture is thick and solid for about 4 minutes.
- It'sokay to mix too much. Wrap the dough mixture in plastic; refrigerate for atleast 2 hours or overnight.
- Placea piece of cling wrap on a table. Keep a container of ice water nearby to keepyour hands cool and moist. Put 1/4 of the mixture in cling film. Coarsely shapethe meat into a thick roll and wrap it in plastic wrap.
- Rollinto a thinner roll the length of a hot dog bun. You can unroll the plastic and "sharpen"the sausage's shape after soaking your hands in ice water. Rewind in plastic and place on a plate; repeat for the remaining sausages. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Preheatan outdoor grill over medium-high heat and lightly grease the grill.
- Carefullyplace the sausages on the grill and let them cook undisturbed for about 2minutes to seal the bottom edge.
- Gently turn to the brown oppositeside; cook until golden brown, about 2minutes. Make all surfaces brown, turning carefully to avoid breaking thesausages, for about five more minutes.
- Remove sausagesfrom the grill and serve on toasted hot dog buns.
Conclusion & Recipe Tips
A simple hot dog in a bun contains around 174 calories. When loaded with hearty toppings like chili and cheese, it can exceed 500 calories.
When choosing lean beef, poultry or soy-based sausages; limit the cheese and chili to 1 or 2 tablespoons; boil or grill instead of frying; adding fresh vegetables such as onions and tomatoes; And by toasting bread to add flavor, this favorite sandwich can become a healthier option.
A typical fast food hot dog contains about 240 calories, 14 grams of total fat (52.5% of total calories), and 730 milligrams of sodium. A typical chili cheese dog has about 350 calories, 21 grams of total fat (54% of total calories), and 1,070 milligrams of sodium.
To cut calories, substitute a turkey hotdog with about 100 calories (8 grams of total fat), a lean hot dog with about 133 calories (11 grams of total fat), or a beef, pork, or lean turkey with about 50 calories (0 grams of total fat).
Two ounces of cheese sauce contains about 60 calories, 5 grams of total fat (75% of total calories), and 360 milligrams of sodium. Two ounces of chili contains about 66 calories, 4 grams of total fat (54.5 percent of total calories), and 348 milligrams of sodium.
I love Chicago Style Hot Dogs from Beck and Bulow, but where can I get the bright green relish to make it legit?