Chicken Bhuna Recipe
Chicken bhuna is nothing but a dry gravy chicken recipe which mainly made by well fried and cooked
the chicken with different types of bhuna masala. While we cooked it with tomatoes and onions it makes some juice which is formed by heat. The chicken pieces are well cooked with this juice and make a dry gravy.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 3 People
Ingredients for Marination
- 600 grams Chicken (cut into medium size)
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tbsp ginger paste
- salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp sauteed (bhuna) cumin powder
- 1/2 piece lemon (or 1 tbsp lemon juice)
Ingredients for cooking
- 3 dried red chilies
- 3 sliced green chilies
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 4 pieces small cardamom
- 8-10 pieces black pepper
- 5-6 pieces cloves
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp fried Kasuri powder
- 1 tbsp Sauteed ground all-spices (bhuna garam masala)
- 1 tbsp red chili powder You may adjust chili powder as per your taste
- 1/4 tbsp Nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 3 pieces medium size onion finely chopped
- 5 pieces tomatoes finely chopped or grind
- mustered oil or any vegetable oil I suggest, mustered oil for better taste.
Take chicken pieces in a big size bowl, add red chilli powder, ginger-garlic paste, salt, fried cumin powder, and lemon juice. Mix all the ingredients with chicken pieces and keep in a refrigerator to marinate it for a minimum of 30 minutes.
How to make bhuna masala (sauteed spices)
Take a saucepan and heat it over low to medium flame, add dried whole spices (3 dried red chilies, 1tsp cumin seeds, 4 pieces cardamom, black pepper 8-10 pieces, and cloves 5-6 pieces) and sauté them. Heat and stir them until they release a good flavor.
Remove them from the saucepan and keep in a bowl.
How to cook chicken bhuna
Take a pressure cooker and heat it over a high flame. Add mustered approximately 100 ml oil and keep the flame high. When the oil heat sufficiently, turn off the flame and rest it for 30-40 seconds to cool down slightly.
Again turn on the flame, add chopped onions and sauté for 8-10 minutes. Stir them continuously over a high flame.
When the onion turned red, add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, and coriander powder. Fried them over medium flame until they get red and dry type (4-6 minutes).
Add the finely chopped or grind tomato, sliced green chili, salt, and all the sauteed whole spices.
Stir and fried them until they well cooked or released a good flavor. Make them like a bhuna curry or gravy.
Regulate the flame to high and add the chicken pieces. Stir and mix them continuously for 4-5 minutes.
Now add ½ cup of water, covered the pressure cooker and cook it over moderate flame. Turn off the flame when the pressure cooker hits a whistle.
Wait for release the pressure automatically. Remember, don’t release the pressure by force.
Open the lid of the pressure cooker and turn on the flame. Cook until the broth dry.
Add garam masala powder (all-spices), Kasuri powder, Nigella seeds (kalonji) and mix them well. Turn off the flame and wait a while to cool down a bit.
I think you loved this homemade bhuna chicken recipe. Please shear us your thought about this recipe by comment.
- Always use bhuna masala to get the original and yummier taste.
- Stir continuously while you fry the onions and spices so that they do not stick to the bottom of the saucepan and not to burn.
- Kalonji is optional if it is not available then skip this masala.
- If you like mustered oil then must try to cook it with mustered oil.